RootWave (Ubiqutek) uses electricity to kill weeds and is solving two of the most pressing global issues. The first is to remove chemical herbicides from our food and the environment to improve the health of the global ecosystem. The second is to create healthy soils that capture and store carbon to reduce the impact of global warming. Our technology is a sustainable and regenerative alternative to chemical herbicides.
Ubiqutek has recently received venture investment and is looking to expand the research and development side of the business. Its focus will be on scientifically understanding and documenting the biological and microbial impact of our technology. This research output will be critical in developing new and novel methods of electrical weed control, alternative electrical architectures and system implementations that will ultimately become patents and subsequent products.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer a working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done. If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Deliver the digital development function within the wider research and development group.
- Design, build, test and document digital electronic systems in support of research’s internal objectives.
- Develop equipment / systems and evaluation tools in support of treatment regimens for internal research and development trials.
- Maintain professional knowledge of digital firmware technologies.
- Create and maintain internal technology briefing documents.
- Manage and present designs and system architectures in a manner that streamlines future development activities.
- Develop and support the development of funding submissions in the field of autonomous agricultural systems.
- Budget development for the firmware development function.
Skills and Qualifications
- Digital circuit design and realisation including microcontroller, digital signal processor and specialist controller (touch screen, memory management, gate driver, camera, display, signal conversion, SoC) integration.
- Development and implementation of dedicated firmware software in an industry standard / device appropriate programming language i.e. C, C++.
- Digital communication and input / output interface implementation, test and evaluation.
- Switching noise minimisation, shielding and printed circuit layout approaches.
- Data acquisition architectures up to 100MHz and digital backend data distribution / remote data storage access and management.
- Demonstrable experience of industry standard digital circuit development equipment and tools including silicon foundry platform development packages to aid device integration i.e. MPLAB, ISE / Vivado design suites.
- Demonstrable experience of HMI integration and implementation.
- Experience of digital circuit optimisation.
- Experience of LabVIEW (or similar) for automating complex control, multi-channel capture and simulation operations.
- Printed circuit board design, development, build and test experience.
- Collection and analysis of data in regards of circuit evaluation. The writing of reports and confidence in making recommendations based on the results of experiments or observations.
- Working within a multidisciplinary team to create and develop new technologies / treatment methods and research tools.
Qualifications and Experience
- Educated to relevant degree standard or higher with three or more relevant years working in industry or an equivalent development capacity. Or educated to recognised UK technical level with a minimum of five years demonstrable senior experience (design authority / lead engineer / subject matter expert) within the relevant industrial or development capacity.
- UK driving licence.
- Dynamic and engaging individual with the enthusiasm to deliver engineering solutions in support of research objectives.
- Able to manage time-effectively and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills.
- Permanent full-time role
- Competitive salary
- Private medical cover
- Mobile phone and laptop provided
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays