RootWave (Ubiqutek) uses electricity to kill weeds and is solving two of the most pressing global issues. The first is to remove chemical herbicides from our food and the environment to improve the health of the global ecosystem. The second is to create healthy soils that capture and store carbon to reduce the impact of global warming. Our technology is a sustainable and regenerative alternative to chemical herbicides.
RootWave has recently received venture investment and is looking to grow its team. We are looking to recruit 2 x permanent and 2 x contract Embedded software engineers, including a Team Leader. You will help drive the engineering and development of electrical weed control systems. Initially, you will form part of the power electronics team although in the future the structure may evolve as the business expands into additional application opportunities.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer a working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done. If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Technical leadership and responsibility for delivery of software system (Lead role);
- Contribute to the development of processes (Lead role);
- Design and lead software architecture (Lead role);
- Work with management on deliverables and timing plans (Lead role);
- Line management of a small team and overseeing software activities across multiple projects (Lead role);
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver projects on time. Show disciplined engineering within a systems engineering framework;
- Sub-system design responsibility. Design, develop and deliver complex, safety critical systems;
- Take responsibility for all elements of your engineering, right through the process from requirement development to FMEA, verification, hands on testing of prototypes, and to production;
- Work effectively in a team-based environment and at the same time be willing to work as individual contributor with minimal supervision;
- Ensure your systems are robust, fit-for-purpose and integrated;
- Creating and executing verification test plans. Take an active role in performing verification and validation tests. Guaranteeing the product meets the customer’s specification and the company’s reliability targets;
- Sourcing, selecting and working with suitable suppliers and FAE (Field Application Engineers) to achieve design targets;
- Develop detailed design documents for technical construction files and work within PLM system;
- Participate in design reviews;
- Work to design and safety standards and processes in order to ensure best practice.
Skills and Qualifications
A strong applicant would be able to offer a combination of the essential skills listed below and may offer some of the desirable skills in addition:
- Embedded software development in C for different microcontroller platforms (ideally TI, NXP, ST, Microchip);
- Serial communications (UART, SPI, I2C);
- Knowledge of control systems especially closed loop systems and loop stability (PI, PID, PR etc.);
- Low level driver development experience (PWM, ADC etc.);
- Debugging using IDEs;
- Strong CAN protocol experience (communication with BMS and other sensory based sub-systems);
- USB (Firmware/bootloader development experience);
- QT or Linux based GUI development experience;
- Full software development life cycle experience;
- RTOS (Ex: freeRTOS) (General experience desirable);
- Safety critical software development;
- Configuration management tool (Ex: Github, SVN etc.) ;
- Engineering change control;
- Good verbal communication skills, able to effectively present projects in reviews, at project gates/milestones and to a range of levels/technical understanding;
- Good technical writing and ability to structure content;
- Electrical safety working practices.
- Digital power supply design;
- Power electronics testing;
- Ethernet comms;
- Fibre optic comms;
- Read and capture electrical schematic;
- Field testing and analysis;
- Diagnostics and fault finding;
- Assembly language;
- Experience of working in a similar industry (e.g., agrotech, automotive, power electronics, aeronautical, robotics etc.);
- Awareness of working with high voltages, batteries, 3 phase systems;
- Functional safety type structured thinking;
- eCommerce, digital systems, app design;
- AI, big data, IoT;
Qualifications and Experience
- 1st class or 2:1 undergraduate degree in related discipline from a respected university;
- Postgraduate degree in related discipline from a respected university is desirable;
- Typically, we may expect a minimum of 3 years’ experience or 7 years’ for the Lead role including at least 3 years with management responsibility.
- Personable, dynamic, proactive and flexible individual suited to working in a start-up environment;
- Able to take on-board the company’s values and ethos and align with company’s future goals;
- Ability to manage own time, prioritise effectively and deliver to agreed timescales;
- Able to work in an innovative fast paced environment on new technologies and contribute to organisational understanding;
- Key competencies: Collaboration, creativity, attention to detail, problem solving and effective decision making;
- Self-motivated and self-reliant. Capable of working independently or in a team as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and international as required.
- Permanent full-time role;
- Competitive salary;
- Private medical cover;
- Mobile phone and laptop provided;
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.