RootWave (Ubiqutek) is reducing the use of chemical herbicides in our environment by using electricity to kill weeds. Our technology is the only scalable and sustainable alternative to herbicides which are increasingly under pressure from natural resistance and government regulation.
RootWave has recently received venture investment and is looking to rapidly grow its team. We are looking for a Senior Power Electronics Engineer to help drive the next generation of electrical weed control systems across a multitude of applications.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done.
Role and Objectives
- Develop complete systems, from concept through to production, to deliver high voltage (5-10 kV), high power (1-5kW) and high frequency (10-100 kHz) outputs – powered by a range of sources including AC mains, batteries, PTO alternators and solar;
- Conduct development of detailed designs that deliver the system concept in a manufacturable product;
- Work within a multi-disciplinary engineering team to adapt and advance the products developed to meet the needs of the market;
- Perform simulations and analyses of power electronics systems in order to de-risk development activities;
- Design, construct and test prototype designs as part of the development process;
- Work to design and safety standards and processes in order to ensure best practice;
- Proactively identify technical risks within projects and drive their resolution;
- Ensuring the full potential of our technology is realised in our partner’s products and doing so by driving the development, prototyping and evaluation of new application embodiments;
- Engineering, hands on development, prototyping, delivery of solutions, prototypes and batch production runs.
Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge of power electronics rectification / converter topologies;
- Ability to assess different power topologies on an application-by-application basis;
- Magnetics (power transformers, inductors) design;
- Understanding of power semiconductor characteristics;
- Analogue circuit design;
- Schematic capture and PCB layout;
- An understanding of design for EMC and the associated testing;
- Strong documentation skills, able to produce specifications, design reports, test plans;
- Requirements capture – decomposition of customer specifications to hardware requirements;
- Simulation tools such as MATLAB / Simulink, P-Spice;
- Proven ability to develop, construct and commission electronics prototypes;
- Lab testing to verify designs, field testing to validate performance;
- Ability to design products for compliance with worldwide standards;
- Ability to perform troubleshooting of electronic circuits;
- Knowledge and experience of thermal management / cooling systems.
- Electrical hazards and risk management;
- Knowledge of digital circuit functions;
- An appreciation of mechanical design;
- Design for cost, manufacture;
- CAN bus and Modbus protocols;
- Embedded microcontroller system development.
- In-depth knowledge of the design and development of power electronics products;
- Highly motivated and proactive to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Excellent creative, analytical and design decision-making skills;
- Ability to manage own time, prioritise effectively and deliver to agreed timescales;
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences including senior management;
- Diligent with confidentiality;
- Key competencies: Collaboration, creativity, attention to detail, problem solving, effective decision making.
- 1st class or 2:1 undergraduate degree in related discipline from a respected university;
- Postgraduate degree in related discipline from a respected university is desirable;
- >3 years’ post-degree experience in power electronics design.
- Permanent full-time role;
- Competitive salary;
- Share options on joining;
- Mobile phone and laptop provided;
- 25 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays;
- Regular travel to customer sites and partners in the UK, international travel required from time to time;
- Location Kineton, Warwickshire;
- Start date ASAP.