RootWave (Ubiqutek) uses electricity to kill weeds and is solving two of the most pressing global issues. The first is to remove chemical herbicides from our food and the environment to improve the health of the global ecosystem. The second is to create healthy soils that capture and store carbon to reduce the impact of global warming. Our technology is a sustainable and regenerative alternative to chemical herbicides.
RootWave has recently received venture investment and is looking to grow its engineering team. We are looking for Mechanical / Mechatronics Engineer on a fixed-term basis to engineer and develop our expanding product range.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer a working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done. If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Work in a team to deliver on time. Show disciplined engineering within a systems engineering framework.
- Sub-assembly design responsibility. Design, develop and deliver complex, safety critical systems to customers.
- Generate CAD associated CAE and manage all your data in a way which promotes easy release and manufacture.
- Take responsibility for all elements of your engineering, right through the process from requirement development to FMEA, mechanical design, CAE, drawings, verification, build support, hands on testing of prototype and early production machines.
- Expect to be largely self-lead, you will be expected to problem solve in many areas e.g. design experiments or sort out logistics etc. to attain data critical in ensuring functional and robust designs.
- If fundamental engineering calculation or basic 1D model is required to prove a hypothesis or set a specification. You should expect to write that model and solve that problem with your peers. You should expect to take responsibility to ensure confidence in your data and the ultimate design. If more capable modelling tool is required, you should expect to teach yourself or explore training avenues etc.
- Ensuring your systems are robust, fit-for-purpose & integrate, potentially in environments which the company holds little experience.
- Creating and executing verification test plans.
- Sourcing, selecting and working with suitable suppliers to achieve quality and cost targets.
Skills and Qualifications
- We are recruiting to bolster the capabilities and capacity of our physical system design and integration team. We are looking for applicants with diverse engineering capabilities around a strong mechanical design core.
- You should have excellent design skills using 3D CAD, CAE and DFM. Ideally Autodesk Inventor and Vault (our native toolset).
- You should be familiar with structured design processes such as systems engineering and have experience with FMEA, DVP and risk management.
- Show good numerical and critical reasoning skills to direct your engineering & persuade your peers / colleagues using evidence based and data lead engineering.
- You should be willing to learn and diversify your core skillset to complement the unique mix of disciplines (electrical hardware, high voltage, software and mechanical integration) that will make our products market leading.
- >5 years work experience in a similar industry (e.g., automotive, power electronics, aeronautical, robotics etc.).
- It would be an advantage to have experience and awareness of working with hazardous mechanical systems such as hydraulics and rotating machinery.
- Awareness of working with high voltages hazards (~20,000V, 600V DC and 3-phase AC) would also be valuable.
- Weight / stiffness topological optimisation.
- Design loads development, instrumentation, data logging & post processing of vibration and loads data.
- Fundamental engineering calculations and modelling. 1D modelling in excel/ VB or Matlab Simulink.
- Structured scientific experimental design.
- Functional safety type structured thinking.
Qualifications and Experience
- You should be a Hons degree qualified mechanical/ mechatronics or similar engineer.
- A relevant post graduate qualification would be an advantage.
- IMechE or IEE chartered engineer status would be an advantage.
- >5 years’ experience
- Personable, dynamic, proactive, flexible individual suited to working in a start-up environment.
- Practical and hands-on, happy to roll sleeves up and get out in the field to understand customer’s real-world applications.
- Able to travel internationally to work with partners in other countries.
- Key competencies: organisation, problem solving, delivering at pace, attention to detail and creativity.