RootWave (Ubiqutek) uses electricity to kill weeds and is solving two of the most pressing global issues. The first is to remove chemical herbicides from our food and the environment to improve the health of the global ecosystem. The second is to create healthy soils that capture and store carbon to reduce the impact of global warming. Our technology is a sustainable and regenerative alternative to chemical herbicides.
RootWave has recently received venture investment and is looking to rapidly grow its team. We are looking for a Junior Power Electronics Engineer to help drive the next generation of electrical weed control systems across a multitude of applications.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer a working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done. If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Develop complete systems, from concept through to production, to deliver high voltage (5-20 kV), high power (1-5kW) and high frequency (10-100 kHz) outputs – powered by a range of sources including AC mains, batteries, PTO alternators and solar;
- Conduct development of detailed designs that deliver the system concept in a manufacturable product;
- Work within a multi-disciplinary engineering team to adapt and advance the products developed to meet the needs of the market;
- Perform simulations and analyses of power electronics systems in order to de-risk development activities;
- Design, construct and test prototype designs as part of the development process;
- Work to design and safety standards and processes in order to ensure best practice;
- Engineering, hands on development, prototyping, delivery of solutions, prototypes and batch production runs;
- Take an active role in performing verification and validation tests. Guaranteeing the product meets the customer’s specification and the company’s reliability targets;
- Work effectively in a team-based environment;
- Knowledge of compiling engineering Bill of Materials and others documentations.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of power electronics rectification/converter topologies;
- Ability to assess different power topologies on an application-by-application basis;
- Knowledge of compiling engineering Bill of Materials and other documentations;
- Analogue circuit and digital design;
- Schematic capture and PCB layout;
- An understanding of design for EMC and the associated testing;
- Good documentation skills, able to produce specifications, design reports, test plans;
- Requirements capture – decomposition of customer specifications to hardware requirements;
- Proven ability to develop, construct and commission electronics prototypes;
- Knowledge and experience of thermal management / cooling systems;
- Excellent fault-finding and troubleshooting skills are essential, as is a willingness to be hands-on when required.
- High Voltage and high power electronics;
- DC-DC, DC-AC, AC-DC Converter Knowledge;
- Electrical hazards and risk management;
- Control Electronics or autonomous Systems;
- Quick learner, proactive and interested in working as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Familiar with software such as Spice, Altium, Matlab or similar.
- In-depth knowledge of the design and development of power electronics products;
- Ability to manage own time, prioritise effectively and deliver to agreed timescales;
- Key competencies: Collaboration, creativity, attention to detail, problem solving, effective decision making;
- Self-motivated and self-reliant. Capable of working independently or in a team as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and international as required.
- High Voltage and high power electronics;
- 1st class or 2:1 undergraduate degree in related discipline from a respected university;
- Postgraduate degree in related discipline from a respected university is desirable;
- More than 1 years’ post-degree experience in power electronics design.
- Permanent full-time role;
- Competitive salary;
- Private medical cover;
- Share options on joining;
- Mobile phone and laptop provided;
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.