RootWave (Ubiqutek) uses electricity to kill weeds and is solving two of the most pressing global issues. The first is to remove chemical herbicides from our food and the environment to improve the health of the global ecosystem. The second is to create healthy soils that capture and store carbon to reduce the impact of global warming. Our technology is a sustainable and regenerative alternative to chemical herbicides.
RootWave has recently received venture investment and is looking to rapidly grow its team. We are looking for a Electrical Systems Engineer to support the design of electrical weed control equipment. This is a product development role where you will be involved in the development of systems ranging from hand held products to large scale agricultural equipment. Typically, you would be an Electrical Engineer who’s evolved into a Systems Engineer, whilst keen to remain hands on as an Electrical Engineer.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer a working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done. If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Design and document electrical system product and electrical safety strategy.
- Design electrical safety systems and means of protection, including consideration of the safety impact of/to infrastructure that may be present in the product operating environments.
- Design control panels and contribute to design of control system user interfaces.
- Specify electrical components such as: power supplies, contactors, safety relays, fuses, circuit breakers, busbars, isolators, HMI components and other electrical control components.
- Specify wiring harnesses and cables.
- Specify tools and equipment required for the development or manufacture of the electrical systems.
- Test prototypes.
- Contribute to product risk assessment activities.
- Work with compliance team to ensure requirements are met
Skills and Qualifications
- 12VDC systems, 50VDC high current battery systems, 240V single phase and 415V 3-phase systems (including phase balancing), working with power >10 kW and voltages >5 kV.
- Risk management including design FMEA.
- Safety circuits including safety relays, emergency stops, interlocks.
- Design and verification to meet requirements of safety standards.
- Insulation coordination.
- Systems engineering.
- Design and verification of high power systems for mobile products.
- MS Office applications.
- Design for assembly.
- Design for cost.
- High frequency systems >10kHz
- Power 250 kW
- Working with voltages up to 20 kV
- Familiarity with EN 61439 standard.
- Degree in electrical engineering.
- Ideally 8 years’ experience overall, including at least 2 years in systems engineering role.
- Potential industries for experience include rail, marine and mining.
- Confident person, excellent communicator, able to lead and influence.
- Able to collaborate effectively with engineers in other disciplines, and facilitate decision making on safety and enabling performance.
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Open minded, solution focussed.
- Personable, dynamic, proactive, flexible individual suited to working in a start-up environment.
- Able to travel internationally to support customer evaluations in other countries.
- Key competencies: problem solving, attention to detail, working under pressure, making effective decisions, communication.
- Permanent full-time role.
- Competitive salary.
- Private medical cover.
- Share options on joining.
- Mobile phone and laptop provided.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.